Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Disclaimer: This episode is sponsored by Nobelpharma America LLC. The opinions expressed are those of the host and guest speaker individually and do not reflect the policies or positions of Nobelpharma. The following content is for informational purposes only. It is not medical advice and is not intended to recommend or suggest a course of treatment or treatment options. Be sure to talk to your doctor about your symptoms and conditions.
In this episode of TSC Now, Dan learns about the findings of an adult panel hosted by Nobelpharma America on Rare Disease Day. He also connects with an adult with tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) who shares her story.
First, Dan chats with Justine Ravindranath, Commercial Operations Manager at Nobelpharma America (01:37). On Rare Disease Day 2023, Nobelpharma sponsored a panel discussion with a few young adults who have been diagnosed with TSC. One goal of that event was to shed light on some of the challenges young people encounter as they transition into adulthood. Justine talks about how panelists emphasized the importance of a strong support system and stability to navigate these challenges. Finally, they talk about resources available to young adults with TSC, including Face Forward with TSC, a website created by Nobelpharma America and Totally Super Cool, a children’s book about living with TSC that is available digitally on the Face Forward with TSC site.
Next, Dan connects with Iris Mustich (16:07), an adult with TSC and TSC Alliance volunteer who was awarded the Keith Hall Distinguished Leadership Award during the Volunteer Leadership Celebration earlier this year. She shares her experience growing up with TSC, connecting with other adults during the pandemic and what ultimately inspired her to volunteer. She also talks about how it felt being honored by the community, and how she applies both her lived experience and her professional background to support other adults and work to address the unmet needs of the adult community.
Resources and Links:
- Learn more about Face Forward with TSC: https://faceforwardwithtsc.com/
- Request a digital copy of Totally Super Cool: https://faceforwardwithtsc.com/resources/
- Download the Navigating the transition years of TSC Guide: https://www.tscalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/NavigatingTransitionYearsOfTSC11-22WEB.pdf
- Learn about resources for Young Adults from the TSC Alliance: https://www.tscalliance.org/individuals-families/young-adults/
- Learn about our Adult Initiative and resources for adults with TSC: https://www.tscalliance.org/individuals-families/adults/
- Register for the 2023 Step Forward to Cure TSC Global Hybrid Walk-Run-Ride: https://give.tscalliance.org/event/2023-step-forward-to-cure-tsc-r-global-hybrid-walk-run-ride/e433629
- Learn about the 2023 Regional TSC & LAM Conference Series: https://www.tscalliance.org/individuals-families/2023conferences/